Learn what you can borrow, how long you can keep it, all of your options for getting books and more.
Current CMU students, faculty and staff must present a valid CMU ID to borrow materials.
Current CMU students, faculty, and staff may also borrow select materials in person from the University of Pittsburgh Library System's Pittsburgh campus libraries. See the Pitt Library website for more information about obtaining a ULS Special Borrower card and specific borrower privileges.
Carnegie Mellon University faculty may authorize another person to check out materials on their behalf by filling out a Proxy Borrowing form. Only CMU staff, students or research associates are eligible to serve as proxies.
University of Pittsburgh students, faculty and staff with a valid University of Pittsburgh ID may also borrow materials.
All others must purchase a Special Borrower card from the Hunt Library main circulation desk.
Who can borrow and for how long?
- Undergraduate, Graduate, Faculty, Staff and Post Docs
- Alumni, Visitors, and Sponsored IDs
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- University of Pittsburgh
Carnegie Mellon University faculty may authorize another person (Carnegie Mellon University staff or student) to check out materials from the library on their behalf. To designate a proxy, please complete the Proxy Borrower Application form.
The Libraries has a growing collection of technology devices available for you to borrow. You will need your CMU ID card to borrow any device. Please visit our Technology Lending Policies and Terms page to learn more about it.
Many CMU materials can be renewed online by following these directions:
- Click on My Account.
- Log in using your Andrew ID and password.
- Click on your name.
- Choose “My Loans.”
- Select the items you wish to renew.
- Verify that your items have been successfully renewed.
If you receive an error, please contact us for further assistance.
Please request renewals for Interlibrary Loan books (requests from another institution) through your ILLiad account. Renewals of Interlibrary Loan materials are not guaranteed.
If an item's location is "Offsite Storage- BY REQUEST," you'll need to request that we get it for you from our storage facility.
To request an item from offsite storage:
- Sign in to your library account
- Search for the item in Books & More.
- Click on the item title in the results list.
- In the item record, click on Request.
- Choose a pick-up library from the drop-down menu.
- Click Submit.
You'll be notified via email when the item is ready for you to pick up.
If you need access to materials that CMU does not own, you may be able to request materials from other institutions using the following services:
- ILLiad: Request books, articles, theses and more! (First time users will be asked to register before requesting items)
- E-ZBorrow: Request books from 50+ participating academic libraries. Turnaround is typically 3-5 business days.
- University of Pittsburgh Libraries Pittsburgh campus materials - See the Pitt Library website for information about obtaining a ULS Special Borrower card and specific borrower privileges.
Both services require you to use your Andrew ID and password to log in (for E-Z Borrow, you can also log in using your 9-digit CMU ID number). You will be notified by email when your materials are ready for pick up.
|ITEM||FINES||LOST OR DAMAGED MATERIAL REPLACEMENT||LOST MATERIAL PROCESSING FEE|
|Books||No fines||Charged at 30 days overdue, non-affiliates charged at 7 days overdue. Current acquisitions cost.||$25|
|Book recalls after recall due date||50¢ / a day||Charged at 14 days overdue, non-affiliates charged at 7 days overdue. Current acquisitions cost.||$25|
|Course reserves||50¢ / an hour||Charged at 24 hours overdue, current acquisitions cost.||$50 (rush processing fee)|
|iPads and Music gadgets (AirTurn foot pedals)||$10 / a day||Charged at 10 days overdue, current acquisitions cost.||$25|
|Journals||No fines||Charged at 3 days overdue, non-affiliates charged at 24 hours overdue. Current acquisitions cost.||$25|
|Audio visual materials (DVDs/Blu-Rays, LPs and CDs)||No fines||Charged at 14 days overdue, non-affiliates charged at 7 days overdue. Current acquisitions cost.||$25|
|E-ZBorrow and ILLiad||50¢ / a day||Charged at 21 days overdue. Replacement cost determined by the lending institution.||To be determined by the lending institution.|
|Tech gadgets (calculators, phone chargers, Mac chargers, USBs)||50¢ / an hour||Charged at 24 hours overdue. Current acquisitions cost.||$25|
Payment accepted in cash or check only.
Refunds for lost and paid materials are issued at the library’s discretion and when the following conditions are met. Any applicable fines will be deducted from the refund amount. To request a refund, please fill out our “Request a Refund” form.
- Item has not been replaced.
- Item is returned in good condition.
- Item is returned no later than 30 days past the initial payment*
* For E-ZBorrow and ILLiad items, no refunds issued 7 days after the initial billing date.
In some cases, outstanding fines, un-returned items, or outstanding bills may lead to a block on your account. Users with blocked accounts are unable to borrow or request items until the issue with their account is resolved.