This monthly installment features information on upcoming free virtual webinars and presentations on audits & assessment and improving data search processes, a guest post in the Scholarly Kitchen on the impact of recent publisher acquisitions and mergers, the recent release of a new Gold OA book on opening peer review, and the lists of the latest publications supported by the CMU Open Access Agreements and the CMU APC Fund.
Read more about SCONE. For more information about the blog, or to provide a guest post, please contact, David Scherer, Scholarly Communications and Research Curation Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarly Communication at CMU
Archived NISO Webinar: Audits and Assessment
The 2021-2022 NISO programming is kicking off. NISO hosted a free webinar on Wednesday, August 11 titled, “Audits and Assessment.” This webinar discussed what is involved in the audit and assessment process and to share what has worked and what has not. Access to the webinar’s recording can be found below:
- Meeting: Zoom link
- Access Password: #Aug11-Rndtbl
Please note that the above password is case-sensitive and includes all special characters.
The University Libraries Launches New Website
Earlier this month, the University Libraries launched a new website. This new user-focused website provides easier access to our wide range of services, collections, and important information. SCONE is available on the site in our Publications and Newsletters Section. All new publications and the archive of previous issues will soon be available on the new site.
Please let us know if you have any comments or feedback on our new website by completing our website feedback survey.
Scholarly Communication in the News
Guest Post - One Publisher to Rule Them All?
In a recent guest post in the Scholarly Kitchen, Jon Treadway and Sarah Greaves look at the consolidation of the scholarly communications market as further acquisitions and mergers take place in recent years. Treadway and Greves present the question of where these evolutions in publishing will lead when authors balance desires for rigorous, robust and fast dissemination with prestige of the mechanism, and whether authors may “exit” the equation for alternatives to the current ecosystem.
Stories of Open: Opening Peer Review through Narrative Inquiry Published as Gold OA from ACRL Press
In a recent announcement from the ACRL, Stories of Open: Opening Peer Review through Narrative Inquiry has been published as Gold Open Access by the ACRL Press. This new book organised into three main parts, presents and examines the methods and processes of peer review and the stories of those who have experienced it in an effort to create new and improved peer review methods. A free Gold OA version of the book is available.
Open Access Updates
July CMU APC Fund Publications
The following articles were published with funding by the CMU APC Fund in June:
- *Carmel Majidi, Faculty, Mechanical Engineering, “A Soft Resistive Sensor with a Semi-Circular Cross-Sectional Channel for Soft Cardiac Catheter Ablation,” Sensors.
- Charles Ettensohn, Faculty, Biological Sciences, “Analysis of the DNA-binding properties of Alx1, an evolutionarily conserved regulator of skeletogenesis in echinoderms,” Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Chris Pistorius, Faculty, Materials Science and Engineering, “Aluminum-Free Steelmaking: Desulfurization and Non-Metallic Inclusion Evolution of Si-Killed Steel In Contact With CaO-SiO2-CaF2,” Processes.
- Yuchuan Lai, Post Doc, Civil and Environmental Engineering, “Assessing the Effect of Changing Ambient Air Temperature on Water Temperature and Quality in Drinking Water Distribution System,” Water.
- Vivian Loftness, Faculty, Architecture, “Using Machine Learning to Predict Retrofit Effects for a Commercial Building Portfolio,” Energies.
- John Chin, Faculty, Institute for Politics and Strategy, “Activists Against Autocrats: Democratic Diffusion Through Transnational Social Movements,” Frontiers in Political Science.
- Chris Pistorius, Faculty, Materials Science and Engineering, “Liquid Inclusion Collision and Agglomeration in Calcium-Treated Aluminum-Killed Steel,” Frontiers in Materials.
Summary of all articles funded in FY ’21-’22.
* Indicates financial support for this APC provided by The Roger Sorrells Endowed Fund for the Engineering and Science Library, established by Dr. Gloriana St. Clair, dean emeritus of Carnegie Mellon University Libraries, in honor of her longtime life partner.
July Elsevier Agreement Publications
There were no CMU-Elsevier AgreementAgreement Publications to report during the month of July.
Summary of all Elsevier agreement articles supported in FY ’21-’22.
July ACM Agreement Publications
There were no ACM Agreement Publications to report during the month of July.
Summary of all ACM agreement articles supported in FY ’21-’22.
July PLoS Agreement Publications
There were no PLoS Agreement Publications to report during the month of July:
Summary of all PLoS agreement articles supported in FY ’21-’22.
June Cambridge University Press Publications
There were no Cambridge University Press Agreement Publications to report during the month of July:
Summary of all CUP agreement articles supported in FY ’21-’22.