Food in the Libraries
As a result of conversations with members of the campus community and the feedback from our food survey, the University Libraries are implementing a change to the Libraries' food policy. These changes will go into effect on September 9, 2018. Signage announcing the new policy will begin to appear on August 1st and Libraries employees will use the weeks leading up to September 9th to educate visitors about the upcoming changes. View the full food policy.
As of September 9, the following changes will be implemented:
Non-alcoholic drinks in covered containers and small, contained snacks are permitted throughout Libraries spaces with the exception of:
- Hunt Library, Fine and Rare Books Room
- Hunt Library, University Archives
- Hunt Library, Computer Cluster in the basement
- Mellon Institute Library, Main Reading Area
- The Posner Center
Meals and food in carryout containers are permitted only in the following areas:
- Hunt Library, First floor
- Hunt Library, Basement
- Sorrells Library, Collaborative Work Area
- Mellon Institute Library Periodicals Rooms
To ensure that the physical spaces of the Libraries continue to enhance the quality of the CMU student experience, we ask that you please observe these policies, which apply to our Hunt, Sorrells, and Mellon Institute locations as well as the Posner Center.
News category: About us, Using the Libraries