Admissions Office Records (1931-2006)
This collection contains the records of the Admission Office. A majority of the collection consists of annual Reports and Marketing Action Plans, as well as publications for prospective and enrolling students. The collection also contains datasets and studies on CMU admissions, correspondence and memoranda, general research material on academic marketing, and some material about the Carnegie Mellon Admission Council (CMAC).
Linear Feet: 8 Boxes: 8
Architecture Department Records
Architecture Department Records (1905-1990)
This collection contains the records of the Architecture Department and consists of published articles, annual reports, meeting minutes, course materials, project products and student theses. The majority of the collection consists of published articles and materials produced from student or faculty research projects.
Linear Feet: 4.5 Boxes: 5
Board of Trustees Records
Board of Trustees Records (1901-2013)
This collection contains 7.5 linear feet of papers pertaining to the Board's various activities, 1901-2013 (bulk 1962-1975). From 1903-1959 the Trustees of the University were a subcommittee of the Carnegie Institute Board of Trustees, which included the Carnegie Museum and Public Library as well. In 1959, the Court of Common Pleas granted the Carnegie Institute of Technology a completely separate Board of Trustees. The majority of this collection consists of meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence.
Linear Feet: 7.5 Boxes: 8
Bureau of Placement Records
Bureau of Placement Records (1910-1974)
This collection documents the Bureau of Placement, originally known as The Bureau of Student Aid which was formed 1905 to assist Tech students in finding part time work while at school. In the years that followed, the Bureau expanded to assist both graduating students and alumni. The items comprising this collection include reports, drafts, correspondences, and meeting notes. Since its inception, the Bureau has undergone many name changes resulting from administrative division realignments including the Bureau of Recommendations (1914-1940) and the Bureau of Placements (1940-circa 1975).
Linear Feet: 1 Boxes: 1
Carnegie Alumnus (1914-1982)
The Carnegie Alumnus, (known by several different titles over time) is a publication written to keep alumni of Carnegie Mellon University up to date on events related to the school. The first issue was published in 1914. The last issue was published in 1982 when it became the Carnegie Mellon Magazine.
Carnegie Day Collection
Carnegie Day Collection (1913-1964)
Carnegie Day, instituted in 1913, was a celebration of Andrew Carnegie’s birthday in which the Carnegie Tech community gathered to enjoy music from the school band, announcements of scholarships and honoraries, and a speech from an individual selected by Tech’s President. The collection consists of programs, correspondence, memos, drafts of speeches, tickets and other ephemera.
Linear Feet: 1 Boxes: 1
Carnegie Institute Collection
Carnegie Institute Collection (1903-1959)
This collection contains published and unpublished annual reports, published historical documents, and unpublished notes and correspondence related to the Carnegie Institute and its function as the parent organization for the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, The Carnegie Museums, and the Carnegie Institute of Technology.
Linear Feet: 2.5 Boxes: 3
Carnegie Institute of Technology Records
This collection includes information from the Dean's Office and the departments of Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Commercial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering & Public Policy, Engineering Design Research Center, Metallurgy & Mining Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Science & Engineering, and Robotics.
Linear Feet: 25 Boxes: 26
Carnegie Mellon Action Project (C-MAP), Upward Bound, SCOPP Collection
The School College Orientation Program in Pittsburgh (SCOPP) began as a joint program between the university and the Pittsburgh Public Schools to help academically and economically disadvantaged students prepare for college. SCOPP merged with its national counterpart, Upward Bound, in 1966. C-MAP began in 1968 to address problems facing ethnically diverse students at the college level.
Linear Feet: 4 Boxes: 8
Carnegie Mellon University Publications Collection
This collections consists of newsletters and magazines produced by various departments and offices of the University. The bulk of the collection dates from the 1980s onwards.
Linear Feet: 3 Boxes: 3
Carnegie Mellon University Women's Center Records
The Carnegie Mellon University Women’s Center identifies and addresses the problems, needs and goals of women on campus and in the larger community. The center provides information, educational programs, community service, support and entertainment regarding a broad range of issues and concerns that profoundly affect women's lives.
Linear Feet: .75 Boxes: 1
College of Engineering and Science Records
College of Engineering and Science Records (1901-1987)
The papers include annual reports, Curriculum Committee minutes, and information from the departments of Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Management Engineering, and Physics. The college split during the merger with Mellon Institute in 1967 to become the Mellon College of Science (Sciences) and the Carnegie Institute of Technology (Engineering). This collection includes materials on the College of Industries.
Linear Feet: 17.5 Boxes: 19
College of Fine Arts Records
College of Fine Arts Records (1912-2010)
Officially founded in 1905, Carnegie Mellon University's College of Fine Arts (CFA) was one of the first comprehensive arts learning institutions in the United States. In the planning stages for Carnegie Tech it was decided that instruction and training for students would be included in order “to apply art and design to industries.” Between 1905 and 1907, instruction in the School of Design was limited to Architecture until the fall of 1907 when Applied Design and Interior Decoration were added to the curriculum. In 1912, the first degrees were awarded in architecture, applied design, and interior decoration. In 1913 and 1915, departments in Drama and Sculpture were established, followed by painting and music. The name of the school was changed to the Division of Arts in 1918 and then the College of Fine Arts in 1921.
Linear Feet: 9
Counseling Center Collection
Counseling Center Collection (1952-1975)
This collection contains the papers of the Carnegie Mellon Counseling Center. The Counseling Center, formally known as the Bureau of Mental Tests and the Bureau of Measurement and Guidance, was created in the early years of Carnegie Tech with a focus in aptitude test research. Included in the collection are items that pertain to the daily operations and employees of the center and include reports, receipts, correspondence and tests.
Linear Feet: 3 Boxes: 3
Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences Records
This collection contains records of the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The collection spans the period from 1913 through 2007. Except for annual reports, the records are rather lacking from the early years through the 1940s. There are increasingly more records from the 1950s. The bulk of the records span the 1960s through the 1980s. There are a limited number of records from the 1990s and 2000s.
Linear Feet: 29 Boxes: 29
Executive Board Records
This collection contains the records of the Executive Board, which had the responsibility to publicize and enforce school policies through communication with other campus organizations. The Board had several committees for studying a topic and making recommendations. The papers are primarily comprised of meeting minutes and committee papers.
Linear Feet: 2 Boxes: 2
Executive Committee Minutes
Faculty Bulletin (1916-1971)
What happens at a University besides classes? What do faculty do beyond teaching? The Faculty Bulletin of The Carnegie Technical Institute helps answer these questions by outlining, on a week by week basis, what various faculty were doing both professionally and personally. The Faculty Bulletins provide snapshots of the lectures, classes, research, programs, clubs, demonstrations, parties and policies of any given moment in the early and mid history of Carnegie Mellon University.
Fraternities, Sororities, and Honoraries
Fraternities, Sororities, and Honoraries (1906-1998)
This collection documents the history of fraternities, sororities and honoraries at Carnegie Mellon between the years of 1906-1998. Some of what is included in the collection are event programs and announcements, correspondence, meeting minutes, charters, song books, and rules regarding houses and rush activities.
Linear Feet: 2 Boxes: 2
H. John Heinz III School of Public Policy Records
This collection contains the papers of the H. John Heinz III School of Public Policy and Management, including papers of Dean Kamlet, theses, student projects, publications, and research papers, from its creation in 1968 to 2004. The School was formerly known as the School of Urban and Public Affairs (SUPA).
Linear Feet: 4 Boxes: 5
Margaret Morrison Carnegie College Records
Margaret Morrison Carnegie College Records (1903-1973)
This collection contains the records of the Margaret Morrison Carnegie College which over its seventy years offered day and evening classes to provide students with practical, vocational training focused on the home.
Linear Feet: 9 Boxes: 9
Mellon College of Science Records
Mellon College of Science Records (1953-2008)
The Mellon College of Science collection contains mostly publications and annual reports, amongst a variety of internal files and correspondence. The sources for the material contained in this collection are: the Mellon College of Science as a whole, the Center for Special Studies, and the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Health Professions, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics.
Linear Feet: 2.5 Boxes: 3
Mellon Institute of Industrial Research Photo Collection
This collection contains the photographs relating to The Mellon Institute of Industrial Research, the first major research institute in the United States, developed as an independent agent to resolve outsourced commercial industry problems. The items comprising the collection consist of fellowship stills, laboratories and equipment stills, clubs & groups stills, and miscellaneous photographs of Mellon Institute students and researchers.
Linear Feet: 5 Boxes: 10
Physical Plant Collection
Physical Plant Collection (1904-2000)
The Physical Plant was needed to provide a wide variety of services such as maintenance of the buildings and grounds, custodial services, and delivering heat and electrical power to the campus.These papers relate to campus building projects and other activities.
Linear Feet: 7 Boxes: 7
Registrar's Office Records
Registrar's Office Records (1905-2002)
This collections contains the records of the Registrar's Office and consists of annual reports, final examination schedules, honor rolls, Official Registration books, registration statistics, and schedules of classes. These records are mostly student statistics and lists produced by the Office but also include correspondence, articles, booklets, and sample forms.
Linear Feet: 7.5 Boxes: 8
Richard Cyert Collection
Richard Cyert Collection (1962-1999)
Richard Cyert was President of Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) from 1972 to 1990, an active member of CMU’s Graduate School of Industrial Administration, and a recognized pioneer in management theories of the firm. This collection contains contains documents generated by Cyert’s interests and activities not directly associated with his presidency of CMU and includes correspondence, photographs, video, and other miscellaneous materials.
Linear Feet: 5 Boxes: 5
Robotics Institute Collection
The Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University was established in 1979 to conduct basic and applied research in robotics technologies relevant to industrial and societal tasks. The Robotics Institute Collection consists of materials related to the history of the Institute and some of the research conducted there.
Linear Feet: 1.5 Boxes: 2
School of Computer Science Collection
School of Computer Science Collection (1955-1999)
This collection pertains to the development of the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University. The collection consists of 9 boxes of materials and includes a selection of video-taped lectures from the early 1970s.
Linear Feet: 9 Boxes: 9
School of Drama Photographs
School of Printing Management Records
Scotch 'n' Soda Theatre Club Records
Scotch 'n' Soda Theatre Club Records (1907-2005)
This collection contains the records of the Scotch n' Soda Club, an organization formed in 1938 in order to produce a musical for the Carnegie Tech's annual Spring Carnival. It consists of 6 linear feet of papers, audio and visual recordings, about the student organizations' performances (1907-2005), including Pippin, Pippin. This collection contains administrative records of the club, scripts, playbills, posters, and photographs.
Linear Feet: 6 Boxes: 10
Sigma Xi CMU Chapter Collection
Sigma Xi CMU Chapter Collection (1934-2011)
This collection contains the papers of the Carnegie Mellon University Chapter of Sigma Xi, an honorary society dedicated to the encouragement of research in science and engineering. It includes historical papers related to the establishment of the Chapter in 1937, papers on high school outreach, correspondence, administrative and financial papers, business minutes, membership files, programs, posters and announcements.
Linear Feet: 2 Boxes: 3
Tepper School of Business Records
Tepper School of Business Records (1947-2013)
This collection contains the papers of the Tepper School of Business (formerly called the Graduate School of Industrial Administration, or GSIA) whose purpose was to build on the technical skills of individuals in management positions by providing the communication and analytical decision-making skills the they needed to be successful in business. Included in the collection are theses, annual reports, administrative records, publications, brochures and videos.
Linear Feet: 15.5 Boxes: 16
The Commission on the Status and Needs of Women at CMU (COSNW) Collection
The Commission on the Status and Needs of Women at CMU was established with the intention to relieve discrimination at the university and provide women with equal opportunities to admission, employment, retention, promotion, and salaries.
Linear Feet: 1.5 Boxes: 3
The Digitial Art Exchange (DAX) Collection
The Digitial Art Exchange (DAX) Collection (1979-1991)
This collection contains the papers of the Digital Art Exchange (DAX), a telecommunication art group based at Carnegie Mellon University’s College of Art from 1979 to 1992 and led by Bruce Breland. Most of the collection is related to specific exhibitions and performances, and includes printouts of electronic messages and images, faxes, videotape, audiotape, photographic material, catalogs, as well as correspondence, publications, and theses.
Linear Feet: 5 Boxes: 5
Undergraduate Research Office Records
Undergraduate Research Office Records (1985-2013)
The Undergraduate Research Office Collection contains records and documents used, and/or created, by the Undergraduate Research Office (URO) to facilitate its support of undergraduate research across all departments at Carnegie Mellon University. The collection includes records of awards dispersed, internal and external reference files, administrative records and documents, correspondence, publications created by the URO, and a variety of photographs and negatives.
Linear Feet: 6.2 Boxes: 8
University Libraries Records
University Libraries Records (1918-2001)
These records include annual reports, correspondence, minutes, reports, articles, and publications pertaining mainly to the University Libraries but inclusive also of the Carnegie Library School and various issues of Library Automation (including ILS, LIS, and Project Mercury). The three major series in the collection are administrative records, automation projects, and Directors’ files. Areas of lesser documentation include faculty and staff records, publications, and service information.
Linear Feet: 30.5 Boxes: 31
Walter J. Blenko Sr. Papers
Walter J. Blenko Sr. Papers (1912-1978)
This collection contains the papers of Walter Blenko, who served on the University's Board of Trustees. The collection includes 3.5 linear feet of papers and correspondence from Blenko's work as a member of the Board of Trustees.
Linear Feet: 3.5 Boxes: 4